January 26, 2012

I am not a Criminal and I won’t let SOPA & PIPA make me one.



SOPA & PIPA for Beginners



"SOPA and PIPA, the idea of “Demolishing a highway system because it may be used by Bank Robbers as a getaway route” is ridiculously stupid."
-Jericho [TBS]


SOPA and PIPA scare me. And if they are passed, there’s a good chance you won’t be able to come to this site anymore. I like using other peoples work(I credit)- their stories and articles, photos and video, audio and most importantly their theories. The idea that one day I may have to pay to share knowledge with others or be censored for simply writing about something that interests me and makes me passionate is fucking overwhelming. The feeling that follows fully grasping the end of free knowledge in an quick, easy, and at your fingertips fashion will kill me.

I have this asinine question I ask my older friends... and I mean that in the nicest way possible, as I love them to death and they keep me in check with reality. The question usually goes as follows:



WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO BEFORE THE INTERNET AND GOOGLE?!?!?
Did you just sit on the couch, pondering some existential question, realize you’d never know and give up?! How fucking frustrating..
The Usual Response:
If you could afford one, door-to-door salesmen sold encyclopedias… If not it was the library which was an endless search for a needle in a hay stack.

HOW DEPRESSING.
...and I LOVE books & libraries.


It’s scary, and if it doesn’t scare you.. you don’t get it. I didn’t understand half of it when the ‘Stop SOPA & PIPA’ and ‘Keep knowledge free!’ statuses started last week. And I didn’t fully understand it until I really started researching it; after all I’ve been out of the political news section of the web and was still in an NDAA cloud. But SOPA and PIPA found me, and if they found me- they’ll find & affect you too... sooner or later.



Prepare yourself, because this may happen,

And it won’t just be Disaster Girl- it’ll be Google and Twitter and Facebook and Youtube and the rest of the giants and anything those sites touch… which is everything, If it happens, it'll happen in the night like a thief- stealing your freedom. Your freedom to open information and knowledge, your freedom of written speech, your freedom to share and experience the world with the world, your freedom to be innocent before you are guilty.

It's a sad, sad world.
xoxo disaster girl
GET INVOLVED.
www.AmericanCensorship.org

No comments:

Post a Comment