November 17, 2013

I Want to Live on Mars - Up Close & Personal with a Mars One Applicant

Meet Amulya Nidhi Rastogi
A Mars One Applicant



Name: Amulya Nidhi Rastogi

Age: 20 Years Old

Sex: Male

From: India
 
Language: English

Field of Study: Mechanical Engineering

Highlighted Personal Interests: Singing, Working Out, Writing, Animals, Weather, Food, Exploring, Philosophy, the Outdoors
 




From Amulya's Application:
Why did you apply for Mars One?
There comes a time in a person’s life when they realize their purpose and do whatever it takes to help better understand it and achieve it. This is my purpose. I’ve always waited and prepared myself for this opportunity.
What scares you most about the mission?
I won’t be afraid of anything if I’m chosen. I’m afraid of spending the rest of my life on Earth.
What will you miss the most on Earth?
I will miss swimming the most.
What do you bring to the table?
The two things that I have and the two things that matter the most for the success of this mission are: mental stability and patience. I also have hope.
If you could bring three things with you to Mars, what would they be?
1) A gold ring my grandmother gave me; 2) a cat, and 3) South Indian food.
Fun fact: I am always trying to become Batman. To me, the seven-year training period of Mars One is similar to the seven- to eight-year training period that Bruce Wayne (Batman) went through.


Amulya's Video Application

Amulya's Mars One Application 


Back Story on the Mars One Mission:   In 2012 Bas Lansdorp, a Dutch entrepreneur, announced that his non-profit organization Mars One would be sending 24 people (4 people in each of the 6 separate trips) on a one way trip to the red planet for ten years between 2023 and 2033. Applications were open to the public for a period of just over 4 months, ending August 31st of 2013. Applicants will undergo a training process for quite some time before they are actually chosen for the mission, all applicants will find out whether they've been chosen in July of 2015. The plans for the Mars One mission include building a settlement on the red planet for humans in the future, with completely sustainable systems on site. Chosen applicants are told that they will never return to Earth, so the decision to even apply for this opportunity is a heavy one- even so over 2,500 people applied (including almost 25% Americans). Similar missions to Mars include: Inspiration Mars, which is a project that will take couples on a 501 day fly-by of the red planet.


GOOD LUCK AMULYA!
xoxo disaster girl


P.F.S. Links for the Curious

No comments:

Post a Comment